Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A Review of iOS 5

Now that I've been using it for a while, I thought I might get on here to report back on my impressions of iOS 5. Overall, I'd say I'm very happy with it. (Once I finally got all my apps reinstalled. That part wasn't too fun.) There's automatic syncing with iCloud, an enhanced Gamecenter, better integration with Twitter, a cool split keyboard option (which makes typing with thumbs a whole lot easier), tabbed browsing in Safari, better calendar integration, the newsstand feature (which lets you have all your digital magazine subscriptions in one spot), iMessage, syncing without a computer--no one update that changes the whole game, but a lot of small updates that really add up.

Of course, it ain't all peaches and cream. Besides the obvious (the pain and agony it took to get to OS5), there are some other hiccups. Completely anecdotal, but my battery life seems shorter now than it was before. I think some of this is due to the fact that I can't turn off notifications now. I can have no notifications sent to the notifications center, but actually just not getting them at all isn't an option. In other words, I'm always told right away when I have a new move for Words with Friends or the like. In OS4, I could just go in when I felt like it and be updated about that on demand. I think my iPad is using some juice to constantly stay up to date on things like that. (Am I wrong about that--anyone know?) Me no likey.

Another quibble is the fact that iTunes Match has yet to surface. I'm really looking forward to being able to use the service to have all my music stored on the cloud (for $25/month), but it was supposed to launch by the end of October, and here I am . . . still waiting. I don't like the lack of updates from Apple about what's causing the delay, either.

How about you--anyone else out there using the update? How's it working for you? Pleased? Disappointed? Please share!

2 comments:

  1. I'm using OS5, unlike you I was lucky and had no problems with the update. It took quite a while, but when I was finished everything was still in place. Maybe its smoother updating with a mac than a pc? I haven't noticed any extra battery drain. I evidently don't get any notifications so I didn't actually notice that it was back on (I had it turned off in the old system beacause I found notifications annoying and battery draining. So I used to get them). All in all I haven't had any hassles and OS5 doesn't get in the way of what I'm actually trying to do, so I don't really pay any attention to it. Isn't that kind of what its all about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear someone had a good experience. :-)

    ReplyDelete