Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Google Buys Meebo

In library-specific tech news, it was just announced today that Google has bought Meebo--the chat software Mantor library uses to run its chat box on our home page. What does this mean?

Honestly, I have no idea.

I'm sure that's just the answer you were looking for, isn't it? But it's too early in the game for me to be able to say for certain one way or another. It looks like the Meebo team is getting moved over to focus on Google+ work, which is mildly disturbing to me--since Google+ isn't exactly a viable platform right now. (Well, it works--but no one's there. Every time I click over to my Google+ account to see what's going on, all I see is tumbleweeds. It's like a ghost town that was never a town to begin with.)

Then again, Meebo had been giving us some issues lately. Sometimes it would log out for no known reason. Or it wouldn't let us log in. Maybe this will result in a revamp that works more consistently.

Who knows?

Not me. But believe me when I say I'm going to be watching this closely. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment