Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Tech Round-Up: Audacity and Dropbox

Two random, unrelated programs I wanted to talk about today. The first is Audacity, a free program for recording and editing sound on your computer. I'd heard a lot about the program before, but this week I had the first opportunity to use it. I needed to record something and email it to someone. I had the built in mic on my computer, and wanted something to encode the recording in an easy to open format. So I went to the internet and got Audacity to try it out. Whenever I'm using a program for the first time, I'm never quite sure what I'm going to get. Some programs are absolute beasts. They do what they do well, but it takes a lot of effort to learn how to use them properly. So I usually block out a good amount of time to get something done with a new program. I'm happy to say that Audacity was as easy to use as it could be. I had it open, hit the record button, then exported it out as an MP3--no problem. (Well, I had to download one more file, but that was very straightforward and easy to do, too.) So if you're looking for some recording tools for your computer, check it out.

The second program is Dropbox. I've reviewed it before on this blog--it's a great file sharing/file back up program, and I use it very often these days. Why am I bringing it up again? Well, because maybe some of you missed it the first time, but also because they just redid their file sharing and viewing approach, streamlining them so that people can just send links to let others see their files--no need to register with Dropbox. Pretty slick. For more information, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment