Friday, July 23, 2010

Documentary Review: From the Earth to the Moon

I thought I'd switch things up for a week and review something non-bookish. This is one of my all time favorite documentaries. If you're a space junkie like myself, this is a cornucopia of fun. 720 minutes of pure bliss. (12 episodes at an hour each, for those of you mathematically challenged, like myself.) If you're not a space junkie, you will be after you watch this. Produced by Tom Hanks and Ron Howard after they collaborated on Apollo 13, the movie tells the entire story of the American effort to get to the moon. It's a remarkable series, fully realized and dramatized. In other words, you learn a lot about history, but it's not just some guy summarizing events the whole time. Better yet, they made an effort not to dwell on pieces of history that had already been well-documented in other films. You get a real appreciation for the herculean efforts scientists and astronauts went through to finally be able to have a man walk on the moon. I love love love this series, and when I was adding documentaries to the collection, it was right at the top of my list. I can't recommend it enough. Four stars, and I just got back from looking at it on the shelf. It's waiting for you.

Come check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment